Who are we ?
The mandate of the FNEEQ Insurance and Pensions Committee is to :
- deal with all insurance and pension plan issues for unions in the CEGEP and private-sector groups ;
- advise the federation and unions ;
- examine conditions for the renewal of group insurance plans ;
- negotiate contracts and decide on the provisions of the insurance plans.
Committee members are elected by every grouping according to the rules which apply to it. It is composed by:
- three members from the regroupement cégep: Yves Sabourin and Claire Saint-Jacques from the Syndicat des professeur-es du Collège Édouard-Montpetit and of Pascale Sirard from the Syndicat des professeurs du Collège de Maisonneuve.
- the delegate to the coordination of the regroupement privé: Alexandre Coudé (on an interim basis)
- the delegate to the coordination of the regroupement université: Claire Tremblay
- the General Secretary of FNEEQ: Caroline Senneville
- an employee, advisor: Lise Pomerleau.
The General Secretary is responsible for the committee, and a staffperson provides support for the committee’s work and unions. There are three committee members designated by the CEGEP sector, and one person from the private schools sector, namely the co-ordinating delegate.
Regarding group insurance
The insurer is La Capitale. Group insurance covers health insurance, including travel insurance, disability insurance and life insurance. The policies cover CEGEP teaching staff and teachers in private schools whose FNEEQ-affiliated unions choose to join the group. For employees in other private-sector unions and the University group – lecturers, teaching assistants, tutors, etc. – the choice of the insurer is made by the local union, in the course of collective bargaining with the employer.
The Réunion des syndicats adhérents (RSA – meeting of participating unions) is the both that brings together the delegates from all the unions whose members are covered by the group insurance policies. Chaired by the General Secretary, the RSA meets as needed. It decides on changes to insurance policies and makes the corresponding recommendations to general membership meetings in the institutions.
Regarding pension plans for teaching staff
Regarding pension plans in education, teaching personnel in the public sectors and private elementary and high schools are usually covered by the Act respecting the Government and Public Employees Retirement Plan (RREGOP). Some employees may, however, also be covered by plans that are now closed but still in force for some teachers, such as the Teachers Pension Plan (TPP) or the Pension Plan of Certain Teachers (PPCT).
Given the type of collective agreements at universities, the provisions on pensions for lecturers, Teluq tutors and teaching assistants are agreed upon in the framework of negotiations between the unions and university management. The University group debates and provides support directly for provisions of the pension plans covering the various categories of employees in universities, while the CFARR (FNEEQ Insurance and Pensions Committee) is responsible for dealing with any matters that affect the plans for unions in the CEGEP and private-school groups.